Barack Obama ran away with the vote in the South Carolina Democratic presidential primary tonight. This was because 78% of blacks voted for Obama and only 17% for Clinton (and 2% for Edwards). Blacks in South Carolina must really, really agree with Obama on the issues … or, well, they are voting for him because of his race.
Among whites, only 24% voted for Obama. The other 76% of whites voted for Clinton or Edwards. So whites in South Carolina must really, really disagree with Obama on the issues …
It is ironic that Obama, who set out to transcend race, in South Carolina, at least, the voting came out utterly polarized along racial lines.
But then, consider blacks in South Carolina. 145 years ago your relatives were slaves. Along comes this articulate and inspiring black man - who is running for president of the United States - who are you going to vote for? If I was black, I think it would be really hard not to vote for Obama, even if I favored another candidate a little more on the issues.
Regarding whites in South Carolina, it is harder to justify why they en mass rejected Obama. Remember that these were Democrats voting. They are supposed to be the liberal voters who are above voting for a candidate just because he or she is white. But 76% of these white Democrats rejected Obama.
In truth, America remains a racially polarized country in many ways. This is only going to get worse in the future. With the open borders policy, Hispanics have surpassed blacks as the largest minority racial group. And there is emerging some degree of a three way polarization: whites-blacks-Hispanics.
Hispanics are not voting for Obama, and perhaps this is racially based too. In Nevada only 26% of Hispanic Democrats voted for Obama; 72% of Hispanics voted for Hillary or Edwards. This Hispanics-rejecting-Obama effect will really be seen in the California primary ahead. Things like the race wars in LA , and competition for jobs, tend to push blacks and Hispanics apart.
Remind me again why we want to further increase racial tension and polarization in America by maintaining the open borders policy?
Update: Only 30% of Florida Hispanic Democrats voted for Obama, while 67% of them voted for either Clinton or Edwards.